Friday, February 11, 2011

A Heart Bound to Christ....

One of my favorite hymns is "Come Thou Fount." The third verse has always been my favorite in the hymn. Which says:

Oh to grace how great a debtor
Daily I’m constrained to be
Let your goodness like a fetter
Bind my wandering heart to thee
Prone to wander, Lord I feel it
Prone to leave the God I love
Here’s my heart Lord,
Take and seal it
Seal it for thy courts above


How easy it is wander and stray even without consciously knowing it. With the business of life,distractions, places to go, things to get done, checking email and facebook, so easily I can stray from my Prince- Jesus Christ.Slowly,those distractions, and the business of my life come in between me and my relationship with Jesus. Normally I don't think about it until I am still and quiet and then I realize what I have missed. It is so easy to put other things in front of God on my priority list.
My mentor and I were talking a while ago, and she asked what I wanted my relationship with Christ to look like. I thought of the third verse in "Come Thou Fount" especially the words, "Bind my wandering heart to thee, prone to wander, Lord I feel it, prone to leave the God I love....."
What does it mean to have a heart bound to Christ? What does it look like? My heart's desire is to be bound, bound to my Savior and Prince. To be bound so tightly that I know of nothing else but Him. To be bound to His heart so my heart beats the same beat. To see the world through His eyes, to see people the way He sees them, to love the unlovable as He loves, to be heartbroken for the things that breaks His heart. I want a life bound to Christ.

Though this is my desire it's a lot easier saying it than truly living it out. Here's an excerpt I wrote in my journal. "Do I consider everything a loss compared to knowing Christ? Do I only desire Him? Is He the only one who holds my heart? Will I be found in Him? I really take the amazing joy of knowing Christ for granted. He has always been apart of my life, but do I truly love and know Him? Am I bound to Him and Him alone? I need an undivided heart only for Christ. So that I can say, "I count it all as rubbish compared to knowing Christ!It must be a daily, moment by moment decision to surrender all of my will, desires, dreams, aspirations, and wholly surrender to Jesus and be bound to Him.Bind my ever distracted, wandering, sinful, selfish heart to Him. In Him, I am truly fulfilled, content and have meaning. Being bound to Christ is the best thing I can ever experience. And in Him- my Prince, I find all I need."

No comments:

Post a Comment